This month's issue talks about how to calculate dim weight and our new services targeted to speakers and trade shows. We are always looking for ways to provide services that are unique and valuable to you our customer.
President, Medallion Fulfillment & Logistics
When you bring a box or bulky padded envelope up to the counter at UPS or the post office, out comes the tape measure. The clerk is figuring the dimensional weight – or "dim weight" – of your package to calculate the shipping charges. Shippers base their rates not just on the weight of the package and the transport distance, but also on the space, or dimensions, it will occupy on the truck or plane. Dimensions + weight = dim weight.
As do most commercial shippers, UPS uses dimensional weight to calculate shipping costs. The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) jumped on the band wagon this year. At USPS dimensional weight is now being applied not only to boxes but also to envelopes sent via priority or first class mail. Under new postal regulations, if your padded envelope isn't flat enough to go through the automated machinery, dimensional weight applies.
How do you calculate dim weight? It's easy. All you need is a tape measure and a calculator. Measure the package's length, height and width in inches, rounding to the nearest whole inch. Make sure to capture the maximum measurement in each dimension by including all bulges, protrusions and irregular shapes of the package. Multiply the length by the height by the width to calculate the dimensional measurement of the package in cubic inches.
If shipping UPS ground, dim weight applies only to packages measuring 5,184 cubic inches (3 cubic feet) and greater. Those measuring less than 5,184 cubic inches are charged by their actual weight. Dimensional weight applies to ground packages 5,184 cubic inches and larger and to all domestic air packages. If shipping USPS, dim weight applies to priority mail packages measuring 1,728 cubic inches and larger. For both UPS and USPS, divide the number of cubic inches of the package by 194 to calculate the dim weight in pounds. The dim weight plus distance will determine the shipping charge.
The postal service offers a variety of set rates for packages of certain standard sizes. There are also size and weight limitations for certain classes of mail. The postal service website provides easy to use online postage calculators that calculate not only the dim weight but final postage charge for a package. UPS also offers similar handy online calculators on its website at ups.com.
"Skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been."
Hockey great Wayne Gretsky
"It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent,
but the ones most responsive to change,"
"Our business lives or dies by reliability and integrity."
UPS Chairman and CEO Mike Eskew
When you need specialized support services for seminars, speaking engagements, help in sending out promotional products for an event or services for trade shows, we can provide the flexible literature and promotional product fulfillment services that you need with responsive world class service.
We provide literature, promotional product and digital fulfillment services for:
- Delivery of books, brochures, CDs, and DVDs - sending items ahead to your seminar or trade show location
- Pick up of materials and return to stock after your event - prompt pickup without shipping hassles
- Processing of information packets from interested trade show participants - reinforce your message with rapid contact
- Monitoring of your promotional material stock and replenishment when needed - keeping you advised when reorders are needed
- Rapid processing and mailing/transportation of promotional products to your list of distributors or recipients who will in turn distribute your promotional products to consumers or client-users. We have experience with large scale promotions for nationwide campaigns for Coco-Cola and Coors and will quote our pricing based on a per job basis.
This service is perfect for:
- Traveling motivational speakers
- Authors on book tours
- Companies who sponsor seminars in various locations at various times
- Companies who are distributing promotional products for a specific event such as the Olympics
- Businesses or entrepreneurs who market their products and services through trade shows
Our value to you, is that we manage the details of getting your literature, promotional products, and/or digital products to your venue allowing you to focus on the content and message of your event and not the hassle of packing and on-time delivery. We take the headache out of the details and make sure that your products and information arrive at the right location and on-time.
We can even provide services to have printed materials mailed rapidly to attendees promptly after your event; thereby reinforcing your message and increasing your sales.
To find out more about Medallion Fulfillment & Logistics, please visit our website at www.MedallionEnterprises.com or just complete our form online and we'll get with you right away to answer questions or provide more information.